News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • windows updating after Susan says it is safe!!!!

Posted on taftbaby Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 windows updating after Susan says it is safe!!!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

PKCano 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

taftbaby
      AskWoody Plus

I have Windows 10 Pro, 1809, OS Build 17763.379.   I did not want 1809  yet but so far so good!  I got 1809 after reading Master Patch List it was ok to install whatever! So I clicked on Check for Updates and gtoot 1809.  It seems to be fine. Have had no problems.  After reading many posts here on askwoody, you should never click on check for updates.  So when it is safe to install updates per Master Patch List how does that happen without clicking on check for updates? I have “Choose when updates are installed” set  to Semi-annual Channel/180/20. I also use wushowhide. Any info would be greatly appreciated by this aging novice!

• #919251 Trash | Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

First, Susan’s Master Patch List is based on a business model. In that environment there are extra machines for testing and an IT department to handle problems. There are also often time constraints to get all the PCs patches. This is not the consumer environment where the “victim” is often the User’s only computer.

That is why Woody has the DEFCON system. You can read about it by clicking on the button in the top gray menubar. But the gist is: wait to install new updates and let someone else be the Guinea Pig. When Woody deems it safe to patch, he raises the DEFCON number to 3 or greater and publishes instructions for safe patching in his ConputerWorld article.

Clicking on “Check for Updates” really means “download and install whatever is out there right now.” So especially if there is a Feature Update (Upgrade) lurking, you don’t want to be a “seeker” and “check for updates.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #956068 Trash | Reply

taftbaby
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you! I appreciate the info! But how do I install the new updates after DEFCON 3?  Do you click “Check for Updates” or do you change the settings for “Choose when updates are installed  to Targeted  0/0 and then wait for eventual update or?  Thank you again for your information! Much appreciated!!

• #956673 Trash | Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

Each month Woody writes an article about how to post safely when he raises the DEFCON number to 3 or above. Look back on the blog and read the last couple ofarticles linked there.

These are my settings. I have never been forcefully updated/upgraded (yet?)

+ Settings>Update and Security>Windows update Semi-Annyal Channel (this is going away in 1903), Feature deferral = 365, Quality deferral = 0, (This means the quality updates show up in the update queue when they are issued), no pause and Delivery Optimization is turned off (I don’t want my updates coming from other PCs on the Internet)

+ In Group Policy (gpedit.msc) I have:
          1. Local Computer Policies>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templets>
          Windows Components>Windows Update>
          Automaatic Updates = Enable, value 2 (notify download/install)
          This keeps the updates from downloading until I hit the “Download” button. If they are not on the computer, they can’t install.
          2. Local Computer Policies>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templets>
          Windows Components>Windows Update>
          Do not include drivers in Windows Update = Enable

I have wushowhid.diagcab on the desktop. I use it to HIDE the updates I don’t want using this procedure to clear the Windows Update cache: AKB2000013.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #965723 Trash | Reply

taftbaby
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks PKCano. Very informative.  I went to group policy to check out my settings. In Windows Components I do not have Automatic update. So guess I am out of luck to change the settings. Thank you though for info!

• #966250 Trash | Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

Look under Windows Updates, not Automatic. I deal with som many versions and my memory is ggetting old 🙂

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: windows updating after Susan says it is safe!!!!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.