News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Wireless mouse/keybd not working for Windows initial setup

Posted on Vincenzo Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Wireless mouse/keybd not working for Windows initial setup

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

I am remotely helping a friend reinstall Win 10 on an HP P7-1054.

Just did the reinstall and it’s at the initial setup but wireless mouse/keybd not working.
        This computer came with Win 7 so it’s older and most likely is not a USB 3.0 driver issue.

He does not have any wired mice.

Any ideas?

• #2266227 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

EDIT:

I think you’re out of luck unless you can get either a wired keyboard or mouse to work.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by b.
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by b.
      • #2266337 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

A cheap keyboard and mouse may be the best option, or borrow one from a friend.

cheers, Paul

• #2266338 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Does the mouse/keyboard use wireless dongle ?

• #2266496 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the input.
        Yes there is wireless dongle.

He went out and bought a wired mouse, I figured he could then use the on screen keyboard.
        But that mouse did not work either. Tried it in various usb ports.
        Perhaps the USB ports are non functional without Windows? Or maybe the system was really just locked up.

So instead of using the Reset function, he is now using a flash drive to reinstall Windows.

Let’s see how that goes.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Vincenzo.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
        • #2266534 Reply
          PaulK
          AskWoody Lounger

“He went out and bought a wired mouse, I figured he could then use the on screen keyboard.”
          Wired mouse – good. On-screen keyboard – Isn’t this implemented within the OS, not the BIOS?

“Perhaps the USB ports are non functional without Windows?” My observation is that the ‘BIOS’ has to have this functionality enabled. But, BIOS access requires a ‘real’ keyboard (‘Press F1’, or whatever). It appears that the critical-path for control is missing a link.

• #2266601 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

The install went fine from the flash drive.

Working fine now.

Thanks

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
      • #2266717 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

The HP P7-1054 is an old desktop computer using a legacy bios (non-uefi) chip and does NOT come with USB 3.0 ports; only USB 2.0 ports.
        usually either pressing F1 or F10 on the HP boot logo screen will access the bios setup menu.

Specs of the HP P7-1054 computer from the Hewlett-Packard web site:
        https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02859337

edit – I know for sure this computer comes bundled with a wired usb mouse & keyboard.
        maybe the wireless mouse/keyboard need new batteries

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by EP.
      • #2266896 Reply
        donfromdeal
        AskWoody Plus

I just had a user with a pretty new Win10 install have NO luck getting a wireless mouse to work….until I told her to take the battery out of the mouse and put it back in.  BAM!  🙂

D

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Wireless mouse/keybd not working for Windows initial setup

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.