• Wish we could stick with Windows 7

Home » Forums » Outside the box » Rants » Wish we could stick with Windows 7

Author
    Topic

Wish we could keep on using Win7 Pro.  For our business use, Win7 has been the most reliable platform that we ever used without the mega-updates and patches every month along with useless bloatware taking up valuable memory and of course all the hundreds of hours of downtime because of failed updates, incompatibility with older software and of course microsoft’s famous driver switcheroo with sound cards after a feature update.  Who in the world needs X-Box programs and applications on a business PC?  For security purposes why would we want Microsoft to connect me to my other devices or save anything on the microsoft cloud?  The cloud can be hacked.   Win10 has less customizable features, I really miss my analog clock from desktop gadgets.  At end of life, we even had some of Win7 machines say that our licenses were not valid even though they were valid Windows Pro licenses we got from Office Depot.   And talk about all the extra clicking that you have to do just to make setting changes.   In the mid-west we also know of many Windows 10 users that cannot get DSL or any other type of high speed internet, they are stuck with Dial=up and unable to use their machines.   Some are using satellite internet which costs more than their heating and electricity bills put together just to be able to use windows 10.  With super slow internet they could still manage when using Win7 for browsing and email, now some people have to drive 40 miles to the store to update their Win10 machines, its just ridiculous. I could rant for many hours but the bottom line is that there is absolutely nothing in Win10 that is usable for our business.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

John,

Keep Windows 7 Secured after End of Life, check out 0patch at 0patch.com ! I have been using them for 3 months and have been very satisfied. They provide Micropatches for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Office 2010 and more.

0patch provides miniature patches of code (“micropatches”) to computers and other devices worldwide in order to fix software vulnerabilities in various, even closed source products. With 0patch, there are no reboots or downtime when patching and no fear that a huge official update will break production.

Corporate users and administrators appreciate the lightness and simplicity of 0patch, as it is shortening the patch deployment time from months to just hours. Reviewing tiny 0patches is cheap, and the ability to instantly apply and remove them locally or remotely significantly simplifies production testing.

For the record, I am a retired businessman with no connection to 0patch.

Good luck…

George

2 users thanked author for this post.

Same here, and I can’t overstate how relaxing it is when each month’s Microsoft Patch Day comes round to know that I don’t need to worry about my Win7 desktop, while I stress out over the Win10 one.

While they were previously micropatching Office 2010 anyway, they sent out an email this week informing users that they had now officially “security adopted” Office 2010. Great news!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Seff.
        1 user thanked author for this post.

Unfortunately, Windows 7, even with 0patch, is on borrowed time. While the end of extended support for 7 from MS means that it will no longer receive any security patches, it’s not just the lack of those security fixes from MS that threatens its continued viability.

New versions of drivers and applications will (if they have not already) stop working with Windows 7 at some point. Even if the OS itself gets security updates from 0patch, the drivers and applications that still work on 7 won’t. That’s particularly important when it comes to the web browser, and even if you fortify the browser by sandboxing or other means, it’s still a browser that is frozen in time feature-wise, and the web will just move on, as I found with Waterfox Classic.

More and more, sites stopped working with the Firefox 56-based Waterfox Classic, and unlike in the beginning, it was not simply a matter of changing the useragent string. Sites simply required something that Waterfox Classic could not provide with its two-year-old feature set, and that was that.  Even though it is still receiving security fixes, Waterfox Classic is becoming less and less viable as time passes. The same is or will happen to Windows 7.

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, KDE Neon
        XPG Xenia 15, i7-9750H/32GB & GTX1660ti, KDE Neon
        Acer Swift Go 14, i5-1335U/16GB, KDE Neon (and Win 11)

While that’s all true @Ascaris, it all comes down to “at some point”. Yes, some applications etc will eventually fail to work with Windows 7 just as a lot of users have older applications etc that already fail to work with Windows 10. I’m not one of those users who plans on sticking with Windows 7 as long past the EOL date as some have done with Windows XP, but if Windows 7 sees out the machine it’s on, or if it works well and safely enough to enable me to upgrade the OS at the time of my choosing, then that’s job done. I’m actually very happy with Windows 10 on my other computer, but with the two computers both running very well currently under different setups I’m in a good place for now should there be a major issue with one or other of them.

The important thing about 0patch is that it’s bought me time. I have a 12 months subscription and can now take my time in choosing how and when to move on from Windows 7. That’s important to me as a home computer user for a lot of reasons. If I was running a business machine I would of course have a different agenda and outcome.

The important thing about 0patch is that it’s bought me time.  I have a 12 months subscription and can now take my time in choosing how and when to move on from Windows 7.

That’s kind of what I was saying… it buys you some time, but ultimately, the solution lies elsewhere. Some people seem to look at 0patch as a solution to the nasty stuff in Windows 10, but it’s not. It’s just a bit more time. You still face the same choices, the same potentially punitive experience with Windows 10 that the OP mentioned, or the difficulty associated with migrating to a new platform. Those are still your choices, either way. I really wish it was not so.

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, KDE Neon
            XPG Xenia 15, i7-9750H/32GB & GTX1660ti, KDE Neon
            Acer Swift Go 14, i5-1335U/16GB, KDE Neon (and Win 11)

It is sad that eventually Win 7 will become obsolete as far as being able to connect to the Web and do email, etc.  If Msft hadn’t really messed up the GUI of Win 8, I may have gotten it back in 2012 instead of going with Win 7 that was more what I was accustomed to.  Win 8.1 is a very stable OS but you (or at least me) need to make modifications to the GUI to get it back to what WE like and are accustomed to.

I got to like Win 7 even though it was different from Win XP that I absolutely loved.  Win 7 dropped a few nice things like being able to have animated .gif files animate in Windows Photo Viewer as it did in XP, and the red Delete X in Windows Explorer.  But I learned to live without those little niceties.  I still have and use Win XP for my own personal use offline.

I’m already into Linux and that is what I’m mostly using now to go on the Web with.  Linux will become what I use exclusively to go online when Win 7 is no longer supported by Web Browsers and Anti-Virus programs.  I’m not Borg, but I have adapted.  Unfortunately,  businesses are not able to do this in most cases.

Being 20 something in the 70's was more fun than being 70 something in the 20's
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Wish we could stick with Windows 7

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: