News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Woes from changing email address

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Woes from changing email address

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I recently changed my primary email address. That meant visiting every website and app that keeps my profile info so I could update it there.

I discovered two issues I hadn’t expected, perhaps worth sharing here.

1. Without exception, every website that uses a third-party customer contact service failed to update my contact email address to the new one. I had to wait until I received the next newsletter/notification email sent to the old address, then click on the unsubscribe or manage link to update my contact info. I did this 20+ times on MailChimp alone.
        2. Without exception, every banking or service website that uses third-party e-payments failed to update my notification email address to the new one. To fix this, I had to message the website’s customer service department because only they could change it.

I was surprised that some websites with sensitive personal information did little or no double-checking to validate my email change. But other websites with almost no personal data required me to verify the email change on both the old and the new address, with challenge codes sent to them. And they sent me a USPS letter as well. Clearly, the security level didn’t match the data kept.

In all, it took me move than a month to make the switch.

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Exactly why I always tell friends and family to have separate email addresses for different purposes.

1. Financial – Never use it for anything but banks, credit cards, insurance. Etc.
        2. Family – only family members get this one.
        3. General. – signing up for other accounts.
        4. Junk – signing up for one time and other junk accounts.
        5. Other as necessary.
        6. Friends. – for everyone else I want to communicate with.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

6 users thanked author for this post.
          erbkaiser
          AskWoody Plus

If you want an easy way to get multiple email addresses, get your own domain name.

A website domain doesn’t cost much and once you have your own domain, you can set up unlimited email addresses. If you buy example.com you can use bank@example.com for your banking info, gardentools@example.com for that site you buy your soil from, bowling@example.com for your bowling league etc.

This has the extra advantage that if someone sells your email to spammers or gets ‘hacked’, you can easily redirect all mail to that one address to the bin.

Most domain sellers also have hosting plans with email, or you can move it over to Google Gsuite or a Microsoft equivalent — or others for only a few bucks per month.

I lucked out in that I set my domain up in Gsuite back when it was still free but even if it wasn’t, I would keep it up for the convenience it provides. I log into my one Gmail and have all my emails in that view.

anonymous

Thanks, that’s a smart approach. I sometimes use Gmail’s email-tag feature
            myname+mytag@gmail.com
            to automatically redirect incoming mail to the desired categories. That approach doesn’t hide your true, base email address, of course. Your approach does.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

About 10 years ago, I switched from DSL to cable internet.  It was easy to change email addresses to the new provider.

Except, when I went to update Social Security, I had forgotten the password so after answering a ‘recovery’ question or two, they emailed a ‘reset’ password to my OLD ISP.  Needless to say, I never got it.  I ended up going to my local Social Security office and throwing myself at their mercy to reset my password after I fully proved who I was.

Lesson learned: Whatever it takes, by any means possible, retain access to your OLD email until everything is switched to the new one!

4 users thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

My wife is in a similar situation to what you described. When she started receiving benefits this year, the SSA website glitched on login … I think treating it as a new account although she has held an online SSA account for years. It must have reset her security challenge questions as well. So it locked out her online account, saying SSA would USPS mail her a temporary reset password. Except that they didn’t, even after three tries and two long conversations with SSA customer service. So after 3 months she is still locked out. Customer service says they can’t do anything and cannot send a trouble ticket to IT. And, of course, local SSA offices are closed to walk-in customers due to COVID.

This is simply another example of how COVID has impacted negatively on customer service everywhere.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

It is easier to keep old email address and forward to the new email address than going over each service in order to change addresses.

anonymous

Thanks. My old email address still works, but I’m switching ISPs (from ViaSat to Starlink) later this year. At that time there is no option to permanently retain the old (ISP’s) email address. I monitor the old address daily and unsubscribe or remove leftover accounts … except for the ones I mentioned originally, where I want to redirect the emails permanently.

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

IMHO, never use ISP email. Use a service like google so changing ISPs isn’t a major hassle. 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

2 users thanked author for this post.
        BATcher
        AskWoody_MVP

It is easier to keep old email address and forward to the new email address than going over each service in order to change addresses.

That assumes that you will still have access to the old email address!

If you are using an ISP-based email address, and then switch ISP, there’s a good chance that your old email address will be deleted after “some time”, and you may not even be able to pay your old ISP to keep it active…

BATcher

Plethora means a lot to me.

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

If I was in that situation I would first try to create a SECONDARY email address and after a bit delete the old one after if possible, testing the site with the new one.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Exactly why I always tell friends and family to have separate email addresses for different purposes.

1. Financial – Never use it for anything but banks, credit cards, insurance. Etc.
        2. Family – only family members get this one.
        3. General. – signing up for other accounts.
        4. Junk – signing up for one time and other junk accounts.
        5. Other as necessary.
        6. Friends. – for everyone else I want to communicate with.

HTH 😎

In theory, that’s great plan! I started out using 3 accounts, then that grew to 5. But I grew weary of maintaining so many, so that I eventually narrowed it back down to 2.

One for family, friends, and important accounts. The other for junk offers and one time deals, etc.

If your email clients supports filters, as most do, you can distribute incoming email from diverse sources to their respective folders on your client, rather than isolating them to separate accounts.

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Lesson learned: Whatever it takes, by any means possible, retain access to your OLD email until everything is switched to the new one!

The most important part!

Always allow an overlap period with your old email provider, and the new one. You can usually forward your old mailboxes to your new one for an extended period. That is good insurance!

Only when you are sure everything has switched over can you safely disconnect the old service. Most customer service will only send an account reset to the address they have on file. If you no longer have access to the old address, then oops!

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

IMHO, never use ISP email. Use a service like google so changing ISPs isn’t a major hassle. 😎

That’s a very good point! It frees you up to switch ISP whenever you find a better deal, without having to disrupt your email accounts! 🙂

I switched to gmail for that very reason!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by JohnW.
    Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Woes from changing email address

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.