News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Woody and Susan Photo/caricature

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Woody and Susan Photo/caricature

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • Author
        radioman
        AskWoody Plus

with shades for that “Joe Cool / Joanna Cool” look.

Like the new direction as well.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

I haven’t had a decent haircut in months.  Trust me you don’t want realistic.  🙂

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Susan,

Pandemic-time hair-cut issues: you could do it yourself.

I have done it myself and continue to do it. It turns out that I am not all that bad at it and, besides, really don’t much care if I don’t look perfect.

In your case, since the back is the harder part to get right, I would suggest going for a mullet.

By the way: Woody looks awfully young in the logo, or whatever the banner picture is called. I thought maybe he was some young relative of yours, but now I know better.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Use the pre-pandemic picture then. Reality is not something you should be affraid of. Look at my isolation “before and after” pandemic 🙂

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Maybe I would stress, that AskWoody has newsletter too.

Newsletter, tips, advices, office, support for Windows, PCs & more

And DEFCON, people love the word DEFCON 😉

plodr
        AskWoody Plus

Sorry, I have to disagree. I don’t think the new site “picture”  is as bad as the OP suggests.

I sympathize with the haircut situation. On top of the pandemic with salons closed last year for months, my hairdresser had major back surgery and still isn’t working. The replacement they found for her shop is not good at cutting hair. I can do a better job. She layered the sides and my hair ended up sticking out and looking all chopped up. She doesn’t cut the back short enough.

I’m now trimming my sides. My husband has the task of trimming the back. His step-father was a barber so he learned a few things by watching him.

Got coffee?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by plodr.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Why not use the newsletter header graphic for the site name, as it stands (whatever the font) it looks amateurish. Having continuity throughout looks more professional IMO

Current

new

| Quality over Quantity |
        3 users thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

I concur, it would look far more uniform.

rexr
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t come here for the artwork. Susan and Woody apparently like those images. If they want different ones they could reach out to many photoshopping friends.

Win10 Pro 20H2,backups with Macrium Reflect home edition
        2 users thanked author for this post.
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t come here for the artwork. Susan and Woody apparently like those images. If they want different ones they could reach out to many photoshopping friends.

Neither do I.  But the idea, I gather, is to add new Plus Members to the site, so the artwork is indeed important as the 1st impression counts.

We live in a world of information overload and the next site is just a click away…

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

5 users thanked author for this post.
          rexr
          AskWoody Plus

That’s a laughoutloud thanks.

…L&H are xclnt too.

anonymous

sorry I am confused here, what is so funny?

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Well, as usual, I’m going to be different and say that I liked the new picture as soon as I saw it.  It’s easily recognizable as Woody and Susan and looks good to me.  My hair is getting a bit on the long side too.

Mele20
        AskWoody Lounger

Why do you feel the need for images? This is not a child’s cartoon site.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Tough crowd 🙂 It’s merely replacing the drawing of Woody showcasing that there’s a transition underway. There already was a cartoon up there already.    Seriously the goal is ultimately to revamp the site to make the contrast and readability better.  I wanted to showcase that while I’m here, I’m building on what Woody started.  The image (done by an artist I hired, not by me) is taken from the https://www.computerworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/ to keep a consistency of the images most used in his postings.   I like it.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

5 users thanked author for this post.
            rexr
            AskWoody Plus

If your images work for you, they work for me. I just look at them, with admiration of course.

@Moonshine
            ‘s l&h-inspired photoshop was pretty good though, it brings a smile.

Charlie
            AskWoody Plus

Tough crowd alright.  I like it too and think it adds something else nice to the website.   🙂

L95
            AskWoody Plus

Susan said in posting dated February 11, 2020 above that the photo/caricature of Woody is meant to resemble the picture at the following link:  https://www.computerworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/

But when I looked at the picture in that link,  I don’t think the photo/caricature of Woody looks like the picture of Woody at that link.   I don’t see much resemblance at all.

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Why do you feel the need for images? This is not a child’s cartoon site.

I for one am 72 but still love to drive my ’69 Mustang and listen to the Beach Boys and Beatles!  If that’s being childish, so be it.

Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

good ears AND a lead foot charlie?
            ‘age is mind over matter, if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter’ MT
            Be a big kid and enjoy, life’s not a dress rehearsal 🙂

| Quality over Quantity |
        E Pericoloso Sporgersi
        AskWoody Plus

Who is that guy next to Susan, on the top of each page?

Is that (a much younger) Woody?

BTW. I don’t like Susan’s shades. They look like a bikini top wrongly applied …

Cee Arr
        AskWoody Plus

OK 15-20 minutes of stuffing about and I believe a somewhat better presentation of the Fearless Leaders.  Given better images to start with a little more time they’d be ready for the cat walk.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

To be honest, I noticed only after I saw this thread in “recent replies” 😉

ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

Golly!  Wonder what would happen if Susan changed the font?

"Censorship is thought control" ----- Ronald Reagan

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I was going to ask why Yodi looked so pale. My mistake.
        Looks like a very young Woody, kinda. Its funny people like old photos of themselves, I for one did not look any better when I was young.
        I got an idea why not have a logo of the month contest??

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Today, icon for AW changed. Its some kind of conversation, two brown bubbles, no picture of woody anymore.

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

My Chrome shows both. No change.

doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

Icon on the tab of the webpage, to be exact. Not picture of Woody and Susan. Sorry for confusion.

icon

Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

I have Woody on the tab.

doriel
                AskWoody Lounger

Yesterday I had him on my tabs too. Today, if I reload page, or open new one, icon changes. Lets wait what others see. I think CTRL+F5 reloads page completely including scripts and cookies.

access-mdb
                AskWoody MVP

I see the same after shift f5. It’s moving away from Woody and why not? It’s Susan in charge now.

Every day is the dawn of a new error

anonymous

no tab pics here, deliberately. The site header is enough.

anonymous

The favicon changed. It’s from the askwoody logo.

BATcher
        AskWoody_MVP

Maybe I would stress, that AskWoody has newsletter too.

Newsletter, tips, advices, office, support for Windows, PCs & more

And DEFCON, people love the word DEFCON 😉

People apart from

a) those who’ve never heard the ‘word’ used before, because they don’t live in the US

b) people who think that IT should be kept well apart from militarism

BATcher

Plethora means a lot to me.

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Im not from US and I hate military, I thought its from Star Trek. Now I googled it and I see its military word. Didnt know that.

Seff
        AskWoody Plus

Perhaps all the critics should have their pictures rotated at the top of the site so we can all heap scorn on them instead.

Personally I come here for what the experts have to say, not how they are made to look.

anonymous

I like the cartoon, Woody and Susan look relaxed which is what you want in IT.  “Chill” fits with the general message of this site, that you should be calm and let other users be the beta testers.  But, once the others have given the all clear, unless there is an extraordinary case, follow their lead on a proper schedule.

Does ms-defcon work and provide a cute and original way of saying if it is time to patch?  I like it better than emojis Smiley, Bored and Frown, or Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, and World on Fire which are the obvious replacements.  It is a keyword that is searchable and associated with this site, where thumbs up thumbs down would be pretty generic.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Not to mention if I changed that (the defcon), I can only imagine what feedback I would get. The image at the top is there to showcase a transition. Personally the brown drawing of Woody was never my favorite, ergo why I authorized changing it. I never could figure it out when it was so tiny.

While Defcon has a bit of military about it, if you are a geek it’s a reminder and throwback to the classic geek movie “War Games

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

OK, this is the thread that never ends, my friends (yes, I liked “Lamb Chop” — an old US TV puppets show for children — a lot and still miss it), but I have only posted, so far, one single little comment here of the “Woody looks way too young” variant. (And I also think he’s been made to look way too smug, but probably that’s just me.)

Now, in trying to explain all this, Susan has added a comment here, in #2342721 , where she also wrote:

Seriously the goal is ultimately to revamp the site to make the contrast and readability better.

While if you read her full comment you might see the connection, I am all for improving contrast and readability.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 19 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Woody and Susan Photo/caricature

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.