News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Word 365 – hidden textbox

Posted on maspiers Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        maspiers
        AskWoody Lounger

I have a word document which contains two hidden text boxes which contain text. The contents appear when searched for, but are not visible on the page. In the Selection Pane the textbox is greyed out and not selectable.

I’ve tried following the guidance here: https://wordribbon.tips.net/T010074_Finding_an_Invisible_Text_Box.html
        but this hasn’t fixed it.

There are other textboxes in the document I don’t want to delete, so haven’t run the 3rd option that link gives.

I have fixed this by copying all the text into a clean document but am interested if there is a better solution in case this crops up again.

• #2264873 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… traditionally, this is where you use another word processor with better low-level editing capabilities?

Way back when, the tool of choice for fixing malfunctioning formatting etc. was WordPerfect. Somewhat later, it may have been Lotus WordPro. WordPerfect at least is still available.

LibreOffice has never quite acquired this niche but can sometimes work for this purpose too.

In extreme cases I’ve even tweaked the underlying xml directly, but…

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Word 365 – hidden textbox

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.