• Word – AI – Non-Business account

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Microsoft Office by version » Office 365 and Click-to-Run » Word – AI – Non-Business account

Author
    Topic

I thought that AI within office wasn’t available to non-business accounts and costs extra?
    AI-In-Word

Haven’t tried to do anything with this if it even works but I find it interesting that it is loading processes regardless!

Windows 11 Pro fully updated.
    Office 365 Family
    Local Account but logged in to MS Account in Word.

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
    Computer Specs

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

I thought that AI within office wasn’t available to non-business accounts and costs extra?

That’s true for Microsoft 365 Copilot, but that’s not what you’re seeing:

Artificial Intelligence (AI) Host is a component of Microsoft 365 that runs in the background when you use Office apps such as Word, Outlook, or PowerPoint. It is responsible for hosting and processing local AI functions that enhance your user experience and productivity. For example, it can help you with spelling and grammar, design suggestions, data analysis, and more.

Some users have reported that Artificial Intelligence (AI) Host consumes a lot of resources and causes their Office apps to freeze or not respond. If you encounter this issue, you can try to update your Windows and Office, repair your Office installation, or run a system file check. You can also delete the ai.exe file from your Program Files folder, but it may be restored in the next update.

There is currently no option to disable Artificial Intelligence (AI) Host from the Office settings, but you can provide feedback to Microsoft if you want this feature to be added in the future.

[From Windows Copilot]

Microsoft 365 quietly adds Artificial Intelligence (AI) Host to Windows 11, Windows 10– April 10, 2023

Further testing.

After reboot to make sure everything is cleared out.

Open Word 365:
      WordA1-Enabled

Disable CoPilot in GPE, Reboot, Open Word 365:
      WordA1-Disabled
      No change there!

Turn off Edge with EdgeBlocker, Reboot, Open Word 365:
      WordA1-Edge-Disabled

So just exactly what am I seeing?

FYI:
      Word365Version

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

1 user thanked author for this post.

Hey RG, I just opened Word to see if I’m getting what you’re getting.  We have the same Office 365 Family, same version and build of Word.  However, I have Edge and WebView2 completely uninstalled on this PC.  When I open Word, I’m shown as signed into my Office 365 account, but I’m signed into my PC with a local Standard User account.  I get what you’re showing in your last image, just Word and the AI thingy.  So I started typing with Task Manager open beside my Word document.  I’ve cut and pasted it below.

“This is me seeing what this AI thingy can do when I’m typing in a Word document.  It seems to be fairly impotent.  There are two instances showing in Task Manager.  It started with one, it tried to do something, then stopped, and then it opened another instance, and that one can’t do much.  It doesn’t much recognize my typo’s.

It also doesn’t seem to be interfering with Word, either.  The first instance is a bit active, but the second doesn’t seem to do anything.  It appears to be relatively benign.  The most CPU usage I saw was 0.2% – 0.4% in the first instance with me typing pretty quickly.  Word is more active in CPU usage than the first AI thingy, and the second instance hasn’t done a thing.”

Word only got to 0.4% CPU usage with me typing at about 50 – 60 wpm.  I did some cut & paste editing, but no issues and no rise in CPU usage.  Whatever it’s doing, for me it’s not much.

Always create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates; you may need to start over!
        We were all once "Average Users". We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do with our systems, we don't need anyone's approval, and we don't all have to do the same things.

2 users thanked author for this post.

I just found “Artificial Intelligence (AI) Host for Micr…” in Microsoft Office Home and Business 2021 on one of our computers.

The copy of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2021 was downloaded from Newegg’s site and is “Licensed for home and business use”.

It is not an Office 365 license.

It is licensed for a one time purchase of Office for one device – Windows 10 PC or Mac.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Word – AI – Non-Business account

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: