News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Word/Office Blocks my LibreOffice

Posted on scotsman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Word/Office Blocks my LibreOffice

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        scotsman
        AskWoody Plus

I bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 (version 1909) recently.  I’ve found when I go to my Libre Office, Microsoft’s Word (and/or Office) blocks me from getting to my material.  It wants me to try or buy Word (and/or Office).  Has any one here run into this disgraceful trick by Microsoft?  And, if so, how did you unblock  this device?

scotsman

• #2153145 Reply
        jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

There’s nothing to “unblock” – you just need to uninstall the trial version of Office that Dell pre-installs on anything and everything it can get away with.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2153148 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

If you do not want MS Office, got to Settings\Apps left click on the MS Office trial version that came with the PC and choose uninstall.

• #2153315 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

You need to associate the Office extensions (.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, etc) with Libre Office, so that when you click on one of those files, it will default to Libre Office.

Also, set the default file location in each Libre Office app to the location of your files.

As stated above, uninstall MS Office.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Word/Office Blocks my LibreOffice

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.