News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Word time trip

Posted on WSKeith Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        WSKeith
        AskWoody Lounger

Okay – this is just creepy. I have a Word file that I have been making dated entries into about 2 or 3 times a month since last September – about seven pages in all. My last entry was January 13. I opened the file tonight and found that the last entry was dated in October – on page 2. The end. There was no more. In fact, the actual file date is 10/8/00. I know the file was there. I printed several pages of it last month. But now it’s as if it never existed. (Jeez, I don’t FEEL insane…)

I’ve checked for other versions, other directories, etc. This IS (was) the file. I’ll be grateful for any help on THIS one.

• #510531 Reply
        WSKB MacKenzie
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello, Keith.

Sometimes it pays to not be good at housekeeping… but I doubt my hubby would agree.

First, in Word, if you’ve set for timed backups at Tools / Options / Save, you should find it as Journal.wbk (or .bak in older versions of Word) in the directory where the file is (was?).

If not, lets say the name of your file is Journal.doc. You just may get lucky if the circumstances were correct and a temporary backup copy was created by Word and not subsequently deleted. That’s a lot of “ifs,” but here goes…

On the taskbar, right click and choose Find. Search the entire c: drive (or all hard drives if you are partitioned) for ~*.doc files. You may[/] get lucky and have one called ~$_ournal.doc … or you may not.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

• #510536 Reply
          WSKeith
          AskWoody Lounger

No such luck, Karen. Nothing there. (Does this mean I’m …neat?) I’ve never lost PART of a file before, especially one that actually reverted to an earlier version. I know it’s the same file because I’ve accessed it through the same desktop shortcut for months. What the heck happened here?

• #510538 Reply
            WSKB MacKenzie
            AskWoody Lounger

Definitely try Geoff’s suggestion in this thread. You must be “neat” if you’ve come here looking for answers…

As to what happened… I’m afraid you may never know. It could be that Word restored a previous autorestore after you’d made changes and printed, but I doubt it.

Probably the better chance is as Geoff indicated and some portion of the file is corrupted.

• #510541 Reply
              WSKeith
              AskWoody Lounger

I was probably trying the notepad thing while you were writing your reply, Karen. No luck there either. (Thanks anyway, Geoff. It was an interesting angle.) I think you’re right, Karen. I’ll probably never know. Wierd.

But I WILL be listening to my own preaching from now on and doing regular backups. I’m just glad this happened at home and not at the office.

• #510685 Reply
                WSgrugeon
                AskWoody Lounger

You could check that you do not have files hidden. This is the default. Double click My Computer click view/options and select the View tab then make sure Show all files is selected.

If you had to change it, after clicking OK etc. try Karen’s tip again.

Also try finding parts of the file name in case it got the name changed a bit.

• #510539 Reply
            Andrew Lockton
            AskWoody_MVP

I don’t suppose you have tracked revisions or been playing with the Versions control.

• #510542 Reply
              WSKeith
              AskWoody Lounger

Nice thought, Andrew. I’m not that smart OR that lucky.

• #510548 Reply
                WSPhil Rabichow
                AskWoody Lounger

Why don’t you click the taskbar, press F3, search your hard drive for:

1)all files (*.*) that have been created or modified within a certain time frame [where you last think you made an entry]

2)all files that have cetain text (something you know you entered

It may take some time, but at least you’ll know if it’s somewhere on your hard drive as a temp file or something.

Hope this helps.

• #510534 Reply
        WSgwhitfield
        AskWoody Lounger

Keith,

*just* in case.

It’s possible something got corrupted, and Word can’t see it. Try using notepad to open the doc, and see if there’s your original text in there somewhere.

Certainly, I’m not the right person to talk about taking backups from now on

• #510721 Reply
        WSKeith
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for all the ideas. Alas, I’m resigned to the fact that the file (most of it) is gone. I would just like to understand what Twilight Zone thing happened here.
        – I KNOW that the file I’m looking at is the one and only
        – I know that I updated it on 1/13/01
        – I know that there were 7 pages
        – I know that when I looked at it two days later, it was dated 10/8/00 and was only 2 pages long – no corruption, no bad stuff at all – just a very nice EARLIER VERSION that hasn’t existed in that form in months.

I’d like to figure out what happened – or get on the right medication.

• #510725 Reply
          WScbaldrey
          AskWoody Lounger

Please don’t take offense, but this is a problem we have here at work with some users…

Are you sure you hit the save icon / menu option? This would do exactly what you’re describing (provided that Oct 18 was the last date prior to your Jan 13 modifications).

Again, please don’t take offense, but this is what it sounds like (I’ve done it myself).

• #510732 Reply
            WSKeith
            AskWoody Lounger

No offense taken, certainly. Wish it was that simple, but the previous update was two days prior. As a matter of fact, last month I had a hard copy of the first five pages (what I wouldn’t give…)

• #510772 Reply
        WScbaldrey
        AskWoody Lounger

I agree with the OCR approach, but not the “save in a few places”. Unless of course you’re going to update each copy, each time the file is edited.

I don’t know about everyone else, but updating more than 1 copy (ie. the original and the backup) can get to be a bother.

• #510780 Reply
        WSKeith
        AskWoody Lounger

No paper copy – but I thought I’d mention this little irony. I just realized that my last post was to the ‘Freebie’ board – about this great free backup software…

What a humiliation.

Thanks to everyone. I’ll be in the corner.

• #510867 Reply
          WSLeif
          AskWoody Lounger

Talking of backing up, your problem sounds as if you had and then restored with an older copy….

• #510950 Reply
        WSruthk
        AskWoody Lounger

Are the files on a network? Were files restored for someone else and your files overwritten?

-Ruth

• #510962 Reply
          WSKeith
          AskWoody Lounger

Nope – This one was at home. No backup, no restore, no network, no one else to blame. And especially no idea what happened.

• #510982 Reply
            WSKevin
            AskWoody Lounger

This is like tossing dimes at the midway. Here’s my .10

Do you have GoBack (or similar drive journaling) software installed?

• #511020 Reply
              WSKeith
              AskWoody Lounger

Nothing like that. I’m resigned to the fact that it’s gone and that I was dumb enough not to back it up (that’s the most painful part). I’d like to be able to blame it on Microsoft somehow, but I haven’t figured a way to implicate them. Right now I’m working on the joint sleepwalking/space aliens angle.

I’ve begun to try to reconstruct the data from memory. Somehow I only have 5 pages instead of the original 7. Guess I need a memory upgrade…?!?

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Word time trip

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.