Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Words of wisdom

Home Forums AskWoody blog Words of wisdom

This topic contains 20 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  fred 7 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

[See the full post at: Words of wisdom]

13 users thanked author for this post.
    • #176139 Reply

NoLoki
      AskWoody Lounger

Love the message and the presentation. What a fitting tribute to SH.
      Class.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #176141 Reply

radosuaf
      AskWoody Lounger

Is it like suggestion that only intelligent people can use Windows 10? 😉

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit + Windows 10 Mobile 1709 (Lumia 640 LTE)
    • #176153 Reply

FakeNinja
      AskWoody Lounger

That makes no sense. So we are not intelligent if we don’t accept changes? Even bad changes? I’m looking at you, Microsoft. I get that you should always make the best of a bad situation if that’s what Stephen Hawking meant but that doesn’t mean you don’t have the power to change things for the better. Just my opinion.

• #176157 Reply

jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

To me, “adapt to change” means something a little different than “accept change.”

The former statement is what’s printed on the t-shirt.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        • #176240 Reply

FakeNinja
          AskWoody Lounger

So what does it mean?

• #176260 Reply

anonymous

(In reply to FakeNinja, in case this doesn’t link properly)

In abstract, Intelligence can be seen as the raw capability to handle large amounts of data and quickly sift through it to gain something of value; either by categorizing and sorting it into useful knowledge or modifying it into new novel forms (ie, creativity).  Another part is the capability to use this previously obtained knowledge to handle newly encountered scenarios or problems (ie, generalization).

As jabeattyauditor said, the important part of the quote is the ability to adapt to change, not that change is always accepted.  Think neuroplasticity not early adopter, although many early adopters are generally intelligent.

• #176281 Reply

NoLoki
            AskWoody Lounger

Stephen Hawking was diagnosed with ALS in his early 20s when he was still at university. The prognosis was dire, leaving him in a wheelchair and a body that was slowly deteriorating. He understood that he would have to adapt to his changing physical condition in many ways. With ALS, the mind does not suffer the same indignity. Later on he had to adapt to using a machine to communicate after he lost his vocal cords.

I think his reference to adapting to change was partly in reference to his medical condition, but it is was more so directed at the use of science and intellect in the pursuit of knowledge. Evolution is adaptation to change. Hawking’s field of expertise encompasses everything from how we got here to the eventual nothing (deep stuff).

3 users thanked author for this post.
          • #176387 Reply

Elly
            AskWoody MVP

1N73LL1G3NC3
            15 7H3
            4B1L17Y
            TO 4D4P7 70
            CH4NG3-
            573PH3N H4WK1NG

In case the translation of the words on the t-shirt isn’t clear (especially for non-native English speakers out there):

INTELLIGENCE

IS THE

ABILITY

TO ADAPT TO

CHANGE

– STEPHEN HAWKING

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #176271 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Lounger

I suspect that “adapt to change” means: “admit there is a change going on and do not waste time denying it; instead, look for ways to survive in spite of it while, as much as possible, making the best of it.”

Unless it is up to you to prevent it from happening, in the first place…

If so, what would be the “1n73ll1g3n7” thing to do?

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  OscarCP.
    • #176161 Reply

anonymous

O7OH, Ch4rl35 D4rw1n 541d, “17 15 n07 7h3 57r0ng357 5p3c13s 7h47 5urv1v3, n0r 7h3 m057 1n73ll1g3n7, bu7 7h3 0n35 m057 r35p0n51v3 70 ch4ng3.”

6 users thanked author for this post.
      • #176257 Reply

HiFlyer
        AskWoody Lounger

O7OH, Ch4rl35 D4rw1n 541d, “17 15 n07 7h3 57r0ng357 5p3c13s 7h47 5urv1v3, n0r 7h3 m057 1n73ll1g3n7, bu7 7h3 0n35 m057 r35p0n51v3 70 ch4ng3.”

.  -.   ..-   ..-.   ..-.         .-    -.-    .-.    .    .-    -..    -.–

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  HiFlyer.
        • #176378 Reply

Elly
          AskWoody MVP

Enuff what?

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #176266 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Lounger

“r35p0n51v3 70 ch4ng3” is pretty ambiguous, in my opinion. Just Good Ol’ SH waving his hands in the time-honored scientist’s manner?

I though the species that, concretely, had the most kids (or puppies, kittens, caterpillars, whatever) under the given circumstances, was the “fittest”: the one that had the best chance of enduring and prevailing on their competitors in their own niche of the environment.

Maybe that is what MS has in mind, for itself, when they produce so many different versions of the same thing?

Or, to say it explicitly: is this how they think Windows 10 will become the alpha predator OS species that shall conquer the world for them?

If that reflected the quality of their thinking, it would explain a lot of what is going on.

• #176280 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
          AskWoody Lounger

I must admit I thought we were looking forward to an apocalyptic post-Windows future.

• #176243 Reply

Canadian Tech
      AskWoody MVP

People who have studied reading know this. It is well understood. The explanation is that when you read, you actually do not look at the individual letters in a word. You mostly read by recognizing the shape of the word. This is why you find that reading text that is all in upper case letters is so much more difficult. Upper case letters look very similar to one another, so you actually have to look at the individual letters. Consequently reading text in all caps is something like 70% of the efficiency. Plus you make more errors in reading. Of course on top of that, and not related is the fact that reading all caps text feels like the writer is yelling at you.

CT

• #176279 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody MVP

My interpretation:

Change isn’t necessarily for the better but, how we adapt is intelligent, like a 6th sense.

If that makes any sense at all..

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
    • #176296 Reply

AJNorth
      AskWoody Lounger

“You may assume infinite ignorance and unlimited intelligence.”
      — Leo Szilard

Edited for HTML.

• #176311 Reply

EstherD
      AskWoody Lounger

Serenity Prayer included by reference.

• #176644 Reply

fred
      AskWoody Lounger

1N73LL1G3NC3
      15 7H3
      4B1L17Y
      TO 4D4P7 70
      CH4NG3-
      573PH3N H4WK1NG

In case the translation of the words on the t-shirt isn’t clear (especially for non-native English speakers out there):

INTELLIGENCE

IS THE

ABILITY

TO ADAPT TO

CHANGE

– STEPHEN HAWKING

<3

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Words of wisdom

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.