News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Worth upgrading to Office 365?

Posted on lysdexic Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2016 for PC Worth upgrading to Office 365?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        lysdexic
        AskWoody Plus

I am running MS Office 2016 perpetual licence. What are the benefits/disadvantages to upgrading to MS Office 365?

• #2256642 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Well, if you get a 365 subscription, you get to run the constantly-updating Click-to-Run version of the Office suite on several PCs… and keep the 2016 on yet another PC. Assuming you don’t get a rebate for turning in the 2016 license or something.

And then when/if you eventually end your 365 subscription, you have to remove those, but can still keep the old 2016 perpetual. (It’d be a good idea to make an archive copy of the install media and downloaded updates…)

365 has some added features, some like those and some don’t. Well, pretty much no one much dislikes having more file formats available, but the other features…

Also IIRC pretty much most versions of 365 come with Access and all have Outlook, there was an edition of 2016 that didn’t even have Outlook.

• #2257030 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

Benefits: you can install and use the software on up to five computers. Also, it stays up-to-date.

Disadvantages: You will have to start paying for the software.

Personally, if I had a perpetual license to 2016, I would stay with that. If I had not already paid for 2016, I would go with Office 365.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #2257050 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

I upgraded Office 2016 to Office 365, now Microsoft 365.  I gained 1TB of OneDrive storage, plus:

You, and up to 5 others, get

Premium productivity apps
        1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage
        60 Skype minutes per month
        Advanced security for all their devices

That’s a total of 6 installations, for $99.99 per year.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2257141 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

If you go with Microsoft 365 do not pay the Microsoft rate. Search around to find a discounted price.

--Joe

• #2257247 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

Open Office or Libre Office are just as good in my opinion I switched years ago. And they are FREE!!!

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2268238 Reply
        Fred
        AskWoody Plus

Open Office or Libre Office are just as good in my opinion I switched years ago. And they are FREE!!!

Friend had bought 18months back the preinstalled MicrosoftOffice2016_small-business , had got only the licence key numbers, it was OEM (pre)installed on a new pc. Guess, Pc got stuck, reinstalled and there was no way of getting back Off2016; the keynr did not accept any Microsoft-ID. Final advice was to rent Off365 for 99€/year. Some service for a perpetual licence… yak.

Now he is getting used to LibreOffice, as just the same, wih some patience.

Greetings

Black Lives Matter
      • #2268600 Reply
        anonymous

I gave up on Office 365 because it talked too much to the cloud and was therefore sluggish in comparison to the Office 2010 I already owned. (My internet connection in all that fast, as it’s VDSL.)

I never regretted going back to Office 2010, though now I’m getting annoyed with a Microsoft message coming up all the time, that says their support for Office 2010 is about to end. It’s a nuisance, but worth putting up with to have a snappier version of Office.

• #2268906 Reply
        anonymous

There are several flavors of Office 365. If you get the Family version for $99.99/year, you can also invite up to 5 more “family” members to piggyback off of your subscription. Each member can install Office on at least 5 computers (MS may be more generous now and allow more installations). That is at least 30 installations of Office. You get other benefits as well such as each family member getting their own 1TB of OneDrive storage. Also, while family members are under the same main account, their information is not tied together. The family account owner cannot access data of a family member. You can get a 15-Month discounted subscription at Costco for $90.

If your needs are modest, the free LibreOffice is excellent. It can open and save in Microsoft formats (Word, Excel, etc.) and looks very similar to Office 2003 (it has toolbars instead of the new ribbon interface). For most people, it will do everything they need.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Worth upgrading to Office 365?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.