News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Would you care for some advertising to go with your Windows as a Service?

Home Forums Outside the box Rumors and what-ifs Would you care for some advertising to go with your Windows as a Service?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Latka 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Latka
      AskWoody Lounger

Microsoft plans advertisements in Windows… or not.

Sean Hollister reports on The Verge that Microsoft has already been testing out advertising plans on the inboxes of Mail users in several regions of the world.

And “if you want to opt out, Microsoft says it’ll only cost you the typical $7 a month ($70 a year) for an Office 365 Personal subscription.”

http://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/11/16/18098855/microsoft-windows-10-email-mail-app-advertising-pilot-program

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #233898 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

Read here:
      https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-turns-off-ads-in-windows-10-mail-app-after-outrage/

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
      Win7Pro·x64·SP1·i3-3220·HDD·Microsoft Security Essentials·Windows Backup·Windows System Image·Windows Rescue Disk·Windows Firewall
      • #233900 Reply

Latka
        AskWoody Lounger

“With the general consensus being that this is not something their users want, Microsoft decided to disable the ads.”

Wow. That smacks of sensitivity and awareness! New concepts for Microsoft Corporate.

• #234148 Reply

Noel Carboni
          AskWoody_MVP

IMO it’s just so much social engineering. Drop the hammer, get the negative reaction, pull back (but not all the way), do it again a few more times and don’t pull back quite as far. After everyone’s used to the idea, just force it on everyone and monetize them.

-Noel

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #233908 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

So people who use another email client, say Thunderbird, are not to worry?

I suspected all along that there might be a good reason for why I  stayed with Windows 7; I am starting to think that finally know why.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #233965 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

Microsoft is trying these kinds of things all the time.  What seems like a stream of clumsy, tone-deaf, ill-advised moves from Microsoft isn’t really that.  Each one of these things is a trial balloon… they’re testing the perimeter fence like raptors in Jurassic Park.  They’re testing the user base for what kinds of abuses they will tolerate.

If the repeated resets of the telemetry settings to “full” hadn’t resulted in an outcry, they wouldn’t have become “bugs” that MS will soon fix.  They would have remained in every new feature update, and would be considered (correctly) expected behavior.  People reacted poorly, so MS did their “aw, shucks” routine (as Woody aptly put it), and they got away with it.

The inclusion of ads for OneDrive in the “Sync Notifications” of File Explorer was another one.  They didn’t try to pass that off as a bug, but it was clearly a trial balloon.  That one didn’t work either… but some of them do.  Most people, apparently, didn’t have a problem with the removal of options to turn off web searches from Cortana/Start Menu searches.  There wasn’t enough of an outcry to make MS reverse course as with the other things, so in it stays.

The really perverse thing would be if Microsoft keeps testing the perimeter like they are, backing off only when they are sufficiently rebuffed, and people give credit to Microsoft for listening to the customers.  The customers should not have to keep swatting away these attacks from Microsoft in the first place, and Microsoft is not virtuous for having its attacks on its customer base repelled.  This strategy of throwing everything they have at the customer base to see what will be tolerated started even before Windows 10 was released, in the form of GWX.  It’s high time it stopped.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.16.4).

6 users thanked author for this post.
      • #234150 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody_MVP

Hear hear, Ascaris! But let’s not dismiss that they’re also trying to change social norms over time.

Windows Defender started out as a spyware blocker. Now look where we are.

-Noel

• #234181 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

What social norms has Windows Defender tried to change?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #234224 Reply

Grond
        AskWoody Lounger

Ascaris, I really enjoy reading your posts; your writing style is highly informative, incisive in insight, succinct, and direct.

In your above post, you describe what sounds like to me the essence of modern combined arms warfare:

Send out your reconnaissance screen (telemetry and patches), gather and collate the intel, make hopefully informed tactical decisions with the intel, and then bring in the main attack fists (artillery, main battle tanks, close air support, infantry, etc.). Hammer and Anvil.

Encircle the enemy force, crush his logistical train, bring them to their knees.

Hopefully don’t make too many mistakes, thereby conserving your forces; but if (when) mistakes are made, reconsolidate your forces, rinse, and repeat.

This, in my opinion, is what Microsoft, with WaaS, SaaS, their cloud implementation, etc., is what Nadella and his minions/cronies/underlings/Board of Directors/whatever you’d like to call them, is waging against all of their OS users, in whatever OS iteration.

Yes, it is high time it stopped. However, I don’t have all that much hope.

• #234263 Reply

Latka
          AskWoody Lounger

To use warfare terminology, perhaps Microsoft is overlooking the value of “winning the hearts and minds” of the people and going with a “shock and awe” mindset.

• #234012 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Its an interesting point to note that if you use Outlook.com Mail from the Win10 UWP mail App you get those pesky little useless M$ ad’s, with a little greenish/blue Ad triangle in your inbox leads me to conclude that, and I think it was in the linked article, that its something to do with Google. Not sure whether it would respond to an Adblocker (if you can get one for Mail in an UWP App?) or an entry in the Host’s file although I suspect not.
      The same Mail Box accessed by either Office2010/2016/19 with same contents doesnt show the said Spam Mail. Its a tenacious little thing as well cant hit the Delete Key it wont go, and it takes a couple of clicks to find the Delete Trash can image. I suppose in order to get you to open or preview it.
      Mercifully sporadic and there were none in todays mail. So far. There’s the other regular M$ Spam which will appear in all mail box’s Office and UWP running at about one a month which is tolerable but certainly not enough to make me switch to Linux, just yet 😉
      As @ascaris most succinctly put it, they are just waiting either for the howl’s of protest or tacit acceptance by either clicking on the unwanted Mail item or just ignoring/deleting without complaints.
      Seems like M$ are going to keep trying to “Push the Envelope” (no pun intended) with Ad’s in Mail or otherwise unfortunately.

• #234141 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

@latka the Register had its usual take on it here: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/17/windows_10_mail_client_adverts/
      Apparently I am one of the “Guinea pig” test bed Countries who knew? seems like they are gone for now but knowing M$ certainly not forgotten and no doubt be back again one day alas.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Would you care for some advertising to go with your Windows as a Service?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.