• wushowhide/gpedit for win10/home

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » wushowhide/gpedit for win10/home

Author
    Topic

Is there a reasone I can’t copy wushowhide and gpedit from my win10/pro system over to my laptop with win10/home on it?   wushowhide is on my d: drive on my /pro system so I”m guessing I can just copy it over to my /home system and it’d work fine.  But I can’t seem to find where gpedit is living on my c: drive.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

You can copy wushowhide to any Windows 10 computer (Home, Pro, any version).

Group Policy (gpedit) only works on the Pro Edition. It is not available for Windows Home.

My Win10 Pro has gpedit.msc and gpedit.dll in C:\Windows\System32. I’m sure there is nothing to prevent you from copying the files to Win10 Home, but it is very unlikely that it will  actually run.

@berniec

As Tim Mohrlant said in post number 2506109 just above,

…there is nothing to prevent you from copying the files to Win10 Home, but it is very unlikely that it will  actually run.

I have a feeling that if you copied over the two files that help make GPEdit run and then double clicked the one labeled “gpedit.msc”, it might actually look like it’s up and running, and if it does look like it’s running, you might be able to click a setting or two and appear to change that setting’s value. BUT, I seriously doubt that it will actually make ANY changes within the registry, which is essentially what GPEdit does after you change a value within it.

As PK mentioned in the first reply to your original post, GPEdit only works on the Pro edition. That’s why it isn’t “included” with the Home edition of Windows.

hey Susan, which is it?  (this is from the latest edition)

“That’s why I’m raising the MS-DEFCON level to 2 — with fresh updates due next week, get the current updates installed now.

If you haven’t had a chance to update your Windows 10 to 22H2 yet, don’t worry: another maintenance window will open up at the end of the month. For now, I recommend that you prepare your systems to defer updates until later this month.”

:-]      you are still great……

You have until next Tuesday to install last month’s updates. New releases are on the 2nd Tuesday.

cheers, Paul

Group Policy (gpedit) only works on the Pro Edition. It is not available for Windows Home.

The open source alternative Policy Plus allows you to make the same registry changes for Windows editions that don’t include Group Policy using a “similar” interface.

However, according to some websites, including a few posts here on Askwoody, some of those registry changes no longer work for the Windows Home edition.

I can personally vouch for the fact the ones intended to prevent automatic installation of monthly updates no longer work.

I applied them to my Aunt’s Win10 Home laptop a few years ago and, while they did work at first, about 8 months ago they stopped working and her laptop started automatically installing each month’s new updates!

To regain control over when her updates get installed, I had to “turn on” the metered connection setting for her NIC and “turn off” the Download updates over metered connections setting in Windows Updates > Advanced options.

BTW, everyone “assumes” this happened because Microsoft can detect which version of Windows you’re using and now ignores those registry settings if it detects Windows Home.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    Reply To: wushowhide/gpedit for win10/home

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: