News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • XP repair dilemma

Posted on cybercrone Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

cybercrone
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi all:

I’ve been trying to repair my old XP to get all my music and photos from it and it’s taken me a long time to find my disc. The message I was getting was a corrupted file.

Now that I’ve got it, when I try to repair it wants an admin password and I’m sure I’ve never had one since I live alone – or if I have, it’s lost in the mists of time.

Is there any workaround for this?

I then tried to do a reinstall, but that wasn’t working either, apparently due to partition problems – so that’s not working either.

Any suggestions or brilliant thoughts welcome.

TIA,

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
      She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
      --Mark Twain

• #1685255 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

Can you describe in more detail what the problem is, and what you’re trying to do about it? Here’s a couple of questions that I hope will help to hone in on what’s going on:

When you say that…

Now that I’ve got it, when I try to repair it wants an admin password

…what is the “it” in that sentence (two different places)? I’m not clear on whether you mean the file that’s corrupted, or the computer’s hard drive, or something else.

Also, when you say that…

I then tried to do a reinstall, but that wasn’t working either, apparently due to partition problems

…do you mean that you’re trying to reinstall Windows XP on the hard drive that contains your photos and music files? If you manage to do that, you will definitely lose the files on the drive that you’re trying to salvage.

The following thread may be of use, especially the first two replies: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/xp-repair-password.1045926/

You are on the wrong screen. Insert and boot from the winXP CD, follow
      the first prompt and click on install Windows; on the second screen you will
      get an option to repair a Windows installation.

and

The password being requested is that of the built-in
      _Administrator_ account, not the password for any other administrative
      user accounts that the computer’s owner may have created. Unless the
      owner deliberately set the Administrator’s password via the Management
      Console (_not_ the Control Panel), it’s probably still blank. WinXP
      Pro asks the installer to set the Administrator’s password during
      installation, but WinXP Home doesn’t.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

ADDITION: If you’re mainly interested in the music and photo files, and saving the XP installation isn’t that important to you, then assuming that you can boot into XP you may be able to copy those files over to a flash drive and then zap your XP for a fresh installation. Or if your computer has a CD drive on it, maybe you can boot into a Linux live CD and copy the wanted files off the hard drive before nuking the XP installation.

If the music and photo files are corrupted, you may be able to salvage some, most, or all of them by using one of the methods or tools described on these two Web pages: here and here.

• #1688025 Reply

anonymous
    • #1688217 Reply

tonyl
      AskWoody Lounger

If you’re sure you didn’t have an Administrator password (and many XP users didn’t), then that’s exactly what you enter – nothing. Just leave it blank and press Enter.

• #1692484 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

You also might consider making a disk image of the data partition with a boot disk.
      Fer instance install Macrium Reflect free on you other computer. And create a boot CD attach an external HDD to your XP machine and boot to the cd. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?x-ca=blog

Then you can work on getting your collection to your new computer from the extenal HDD w/o risking your data on the XP machine..

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #1743676 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You could boot the machine using a Linux live CD and then access your files from there.

Booting directly from the old disk may cause more problems than it fixes.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: XP repair dilemma

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.