News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Yee Olde Icons on Desktop

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Yee Olde Icons on Desktop

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    • This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Some months ago I bought a replacement for my wife’s aging Win 7 laptop. She took an instant dislike to it, and I must admit that I share her sentiments entirely. Probably the most egregious difference between Win 7 and Win 8 is the start-up page, to say it is ugly would be too kind. Clicking on Start > All programs brings up a list of installed programs, but clicking on a program brings up another list of options, one of which is to run the program.  What she wants is icons, readily recognizable icons, on an otherwise blank background, like we’ve known since Win 3.0. Double click to run. Is that too much to ask?

I discovered by trial and error that right-clicking a program in the start list brings up a familiar list of options, one of which is “Send to… the Desktop, create a short-cut”. And that would work in any previous version of Windows. The option is there for all programs, but so far it has only worked for Firefox. So now there is a Firefox icon and a Photos icon which I didn’t install, plus nothing. This must be easy, or at least it should be easy. I have tried Open Shell and Stardocks, without success, what am I doing wrong?

Rhino

• #2294054 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Download OpenShell Menu (Free) and install it (under “Assets” click on OpenShellSetup_4_4_152.exe). It will give you a Win7-like menu system. If you have questions about how to comfigure it, come back here.

I use this on all my Win8.1 and Win10 systems.

• #2294989 Reply
          Rhino
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for your help, but I have made no progress whatsoever so far. This OS is so different from every other version of Windows I can’t imagine why MS stuck with the name. However, all I want is an icon on the Desktop, how big an deal should that be?

For instance when a program, or app as we say nowadays, is installed .lnk files are created in C:\Program Data. So far so good; so all I have to do is drag the link to the Desktop? Right? Wrong, would work in every other version; not Win10.

Or I can right-click on the link, and then choose “Send to the Desktop”. It’s right there as an option so that would work too; not in Win 10.

Or I can dig down through numerous layers from C:\Program Files\ to get to the program I installed, find the .exe file and right-click, One of the options offered is, you’ve guessed it, “Send to the Desktop, create a shortcut”.

Yes, it’s a great OS, no question about it.

Rhino

• #2295163 Reply
            access-mdb
            AskWoody MVP

I’ve tried each of the methods you’ve mentioned and they all work, so I suspect there’s a problem with your setup rather than with Win 10. Mind you I haven’t used the desktop for very much for some time as I find the start page much superior.

• #2294070 Reply
        anonymous

Enable the Hidden files and folders > Show hidden files foldes, or drives then go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. There you’ll find shortcut icons to the programs installed. Copy out to the Desktop the ones you want to see.

• #2294082 Reply
        anonymous

Clicking on Start > All programs brings up a list of installed programs, but clicking on a program brings up another list of options, one of which is to run the program.

I discovered by trial and error that right-clicking a program in the start list brings up a familiar list of options, one of which is “Send to… the Desktop, create a short-cut”.

Neither of those functions are part of the standard Windows 10 Start screen.

Creating shortcuts on the Windows 10 Desktop works exactly as it did on Windows 7 and 8.1.

• #2294317 Reply
          Rhino
          AskWoody Plus

Anonymous Guest, thanks for your response, but I don’t understand why you say, “Creating shortcuts on the Windows 10 Desktop works exactly as it did on Windows 7 and 8.1.”

I have been using ‘Send to…the Desktop’ to create a shortcut with every iteration of Windows that I’ve used and that’s going back to Win 3. If it wasn’t a legit command surely it wouldn’t appear in the list of right-click options.

However, I did get to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. There are a number of programs listed, and they do have .lnk extensions. However, I cannot drag these .lnk files to the Desktop because Windows Explorer (or whatever it’s latest name is) will only run in full screen. There is a minimize button, and a maximize button, and the third, half and half button, but it does nothing. So this means I can’t drag the .lnk file to the Desktop either. I can drag a .lnk file to the Taskbar, but that’s not the same as having an icon on the Desktop because if the program is not running it’s not visible in the Taskbar.

I’m beginning to wonder if it might be best to insure this machine because something tells me that it is going to come to an unfortunate end.

Rhino

Attachments:
          • #2294320 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

“Send to the desktop – create a shortcut” is a perfectly fine was to create a shortcut on the desktop. Use it!

• #2295178 Reply
            anonymous

However, I cannot drag these .lnk files to the Desktop because Windows Explorer (or whatever it’s latest name is) will only run in full screen. There is a minimize button, and a maximize button, and the third, half and half button, but it does nothing. So this means I can’t drag the .lnk file to the Desktop either.

File Explorer doesn’t have a third, half and half button; only Minimize and Maximize.

Full screen is only available by toggling F11, so try exiting full screen with F11.

I can drag a .lnk file to the Taskbar, but that’s not the same as having an icon on the Desktop because if the program is not running it’s not visible in the Taskbar.

That’s not (normally) true. A shortcut dragged to the taskbar remains pinned there whether the program is open or closed.

• #2294171 Reply
        Chris Greaves
        AskWoody Plus

FWIW I make heavy use of shortcuts and icons.

As an example, I use a batch file to load Word after first copying Normal.dot from a safe location and appending a target document (“calendar.doc”) to be opened.

I save myself a lot of hassle by editing (right-click, properties) the shortcut target and prefacing the target with “cmd.exe /c “, as this allows me to change the icon and as well to Pin To Taskbar as well as Pin To Start Menu.

Cheers

Chris

"Almost works" means it doesn’t work.

Attachments:
      • #2294699 Reply
        mledman
        AskWoody Plus

What she wants is icons, readily recognizable icons, on an otherwise blank background, like we’ve known since Win 3.0.

I’m assuming on the desktop.

Clicking on Start > All programs brings up a list of installed programs.  Left click and drag the program you want to the desktop.  This will create an icon/shortcut on the desktop.

Win 10 home - 20H2
        Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

• #2306592 Reply
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Those of you who suggested solutions to my complaint about icons on the Desktop, and the fact that I could get programs to run in any size windows provided it was full-screen or minimized might be interested to know that I have found a solution to both issues. I doubt that the work-around will ever make it into the “Official”, or unofficial, guide books, but for simplicity I don’t think it’ll ever be beat.

All you need is a mouse, Bluetooth variety is probably better that a tethered one, and good reactions. I inadvertently pushed my mouse off the edge of the desk. I snatched at it, but didn’t quite catch it as it went off the edge. However, I did hit it, and as luck would have it I sent the mouse flying straight at the laptop display which it hit with a resounding crack. But wait, that’s not the end of the story, nor even the end of the display. To my amazement there were a couple of dozen icons on the Desktop. And the Minimize, Maximize, and Restore icons had appeared in the upper right corner of the open window. And perhaps most amazing of all, the icons work, and the display wasn’t damaged.

Mind you, pleasing and all as that was, I still think it’s a hideous OS.

Rhino.

• #2306610 Reply
          Ascaris
          AskWoody_MVP

I wonder if there is some sort of setting or something where the desktop size is larger than the viewport (the part shown on the display) and you’re meant to scroll around to see the whole thing. Yes, to some people that’s an actual feature… I can’t imagine using such a terrible setup, but I’ve seen it described as a feature.

It’s something like this, I think. The way things are missing, things that should work windowed don’t, missing window controls, all sounds like the bit of the desktop you are seeing is not the whole thing.

I’ve never seen that in Windows, so I could not begin to tell you how to get rid of it. I inadvertently turned it on in KDE Plasma one time and I about lost my mind trying to figure out how to get rid of it. I eventually did, but it’s not a feature I would want to use on purpose.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.20.3 User Edition)

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Yee Olde Icons on Desktop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.