News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Yet another JScript vulnerability

Home Forums AskWoody blog Yet another JScript vulnerability

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

Internet Explorer, the gift that keeps on giving. Looks like we have a brand new JScript bug. According to ADV200001: A remote code execution vulnerab
        [See the full post at: Yet another JScript vulnerability]

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2086433 Reply
        abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

Yes, let’s hope they don’t repeat September debacle 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2086474 Reply
        fernlady
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m a home user with one windows7 computer and have Firefox 72.0.1 as my default browser, should I disable JScript in IE11?

Under Scripting there are 3 areas that are enabled, Active scripting, Enable XSS filter & Scripting of Java applets. Allow Programmatic clipboard access which is set to Prompt. Disable all???

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 AMD Group A Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by fernlady.
        • #2086540 Reply
          anonymous

I would open Control Panel and go to Programs and Features. Then on the top left click on “Turn Windows Features on or off”.

Next find Internet Explorer 11 and uncheck the box.

I did this a couple of years ago and it hasn’t affected other programs or websites for me.

Consider using NoScript with Firefox and although there is a bit of a learning curve  any inconvenience will give you a more secure system as payback. Also HTTPS Everywhere is another secure option.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2086602 Reply
            fernlady
            AskWoody Lounger

That was easy. Thank you, so far no problems.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 AMD Group A Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

• #2110097 Reply
              Moonbear
              AskWoody Lounger

If you do ever need to re-enable Internet Explorer, It may not recreate the desktop icon when you do.

Just something to watch out for.

• #2086555 Reply
        Microfix
        Da Boss

Looks like MSFT has issued a temporary workaround for the IE vulnerability with instructions how to implement and undo for when a hot-fix-patch is released.

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/advisory/ADV200001

MSFT catalog patch for Windows 7 only? dunno, time will tell..

Win7 Pro x86/x64 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 |
        • #2086562 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

Yep, that’s the “Turn off JScript” fix I mentioned.

Nice of them to announce this on a Friday evening before a three-day (US) weekend…

• #2086829 Reply
          anonymous

As usual MS forgot to mention in the FAQ,  this temporary workaround also break Windows Media Player on Win 10. You’ll get a “Server execution failed error” when trying to play an MP4.

3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2086857 Reply
          EstherD
          AskWoody Plus

It also causes “sfc” on Win7 to emit a cryptic error message, something about files it tried to restore but couldn’t, presumably because “sfc” also can no longer read the jscript.dll files after the workaround is implemented. Since the logfile generated by “sfc” is effectively unparsable by mere mortals, it is difficult to determine exactly what “sfc” is complaining about. Therefore, you may not want to implement this workaround if you rely on “sfc” to validate the health of your Win7 system.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2086604 Reply
        Moonbear
        AskWoody Lounger

If your not directly using Internet Explorer to access the internet, should this be worried about?

I have IE’s outbound connection blocked with Windows Firewall, should I also block the inbound connection as well?

• #2086914 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

Not using IE is kind of a baseline security precaution.

I don’t know if you’re vulnerable outside of IE, but I would guess that if the exposure were really all that significant, we would have a patch by now.

4 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2087274 Reply
            Moonbear
            AskWoody Lounger

In that case I’m leaving it alone, especially considering the issues being reported from using the workaround

• #2086921 Reply
        AmbularD
        AskWoody Plus

Interesting.  I disabled jscript per the advisory, and Internet Explorer still worked fine (not that I use it much anymore,) but Firefox crashed at startup until I enabled it again.  Waterfox, Pale Moon, and IceDragon, however, did not seem to be affected.

Disabling jscript may also have broken Panda Dome, though I’m not sure about that, as this as a possible cause of the issues it was having did not occur to me until after I’d already given up in frustration and replaced it with Avast.

i7-4790k - Z97X-Gaming 3 - DDR3 2133 x 32GB - GTX 1070 FTW - Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2087082 Reply
        Mitja Kolsek
        AskWoody Plus

We @0patch are planning to issue a micropatch for this next week which will prevent Internet Explorer from loading jscript.dll. This will not affect the permissions on jscript.dll and will likely keep the sfc command unaffected. It would be nice to learn from other users implementing Microsoft’s workaround what else that workaround breaks.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2087468 Reply
        Grargfar
        AskWoody Plus

The workaround breaks printing to “Microsoft Print to PDF”. I had to revert it.

• #2110388 Reply
        MrToad28
        AskWoody Lounger

I use Win7 PC’s and never use IE..Use Firefox, Firefox variant Pale moon & Chrome. Would I be affected by this Jscript issue?

• #2110524 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Probably not, but it’s worth checking the browser web sites to see what they say about it.

cheers, Paul

• #2111606 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

@Mitja-Kolsek

There are some other consequenses of the JavaScript bug posted here.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Yet another JScript vulnerability

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.