News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• You can now run Windows 365 on iPad,

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems iOS You can now run Windows 365 on iPad,

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

You can now run Windows 365 on iPad, and Microsoft even has an app for it

Microsoft’s new cloud PC system, Windows 365, has officially launched for all eligible businesses and enterprises. While it’s not available to consumers yet, we hope to see it in the future….

Using Windows 365 is incredibly easy. First and foremost, you need an eligible business or enterprise Microsoft account with an administrator. Once they’ve granted you a cloud PC, you can go to windows365.microsoft.com and sign in to your account. From there, you have to let your cloud PC configure itself before launching it. But once it is ready to go, you can easily click on the cloud PC of your choice to launch Windows…

I first tried Windows 365 through Safari in iPadOS 15. It wasn’t a great experience, to be honest. But then I noticed Microsoft’s callout to the Remote Desktop app. I flew over to the App Store and downloaded the app, entered my credentials, and boom — I had a smooth virtual install of Windows running in a native app on my iPad from the App Store…

Windows 365 starts at $31.00/month for a single user under the basic configuration (there are some less expensive alternate options as well). There are more expensive subscriptions with more powerful cloud PCs that have more RAM and better CPUs, though. All of the business tiers of Windows 365 allow up to 300 users, while the enterprise tiers allow for unlimited users.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Alex5723.
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

You can rdp from an ipad into a desktop now.  The big issue is that an ipad is a touch environment and a windows desktop is not.  Do you REALLY need an ipad with the expensive keyboard attachment to get a proper experience at which point in time you ask yourself … .uh… why?  Why not get a cheap Windows device and have a much better remote experience.

(have these writers not tried this with regular rdp before?)

Sorry but the use case is still corner case in my book.  I’m more concerned that the Windows 365 basic subscription ships without intune or other tools to manage the remote instance and it’s default with local administrator rights.  Excuse me have we not learned anything about preventing ransomware?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Why not get a cheap Windows device and have a much better remote experience.

So Microsoft 365 is a plot to sell more PCs ? After all instead of paying $31.00/month – $372/year one can buy a cheap desktop, add $190 for a Pro license, add $$$ for a decent display, $$ for keyboard and mouse…
        I am sure that there are many people using none Windows devices that would like to run some Windows software. That is the reason for Boot Camp on Macs, Parallels, VMs…

Susan Bradley
          Manager

I’m just saying an ipad (touch screen) makes for a lousy Windows experience.  I’ve used it.  When you need a keyboard, you need a keyboard.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

I know many iPad users that use both keyboards and mice. 🙂
            I use a keyboard with my iPad.

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

When given an iPad with a Logitech keyboard I figured I’d better finally learn a little about Apple. I’ve loaded my Office 365 on the iPad and yes I can use Word. Of course, I use the word USE very loosely! The interface (menus) are entirely different. The keyboard isn’t really typeable with my fat fingers and the Delete key is in reality a Backspace key and there is no Delete key!

Verdict IMHO, maybe for someone that doesn’t use Word on a PC or just to make minor corrections to an existing document this could be Ok, but for someone generating long documents and expecting functionality present on the PC version as they say FOREGETABOUTIT!

FYI: I’m getting ready to teach Word & Excel classes at out Senior Community and I delved into this topic as we are issued iPads as new residents as part of the communication stragety.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: You can now run Windows 365 on iPad,

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.