News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Your Phone app

Posted on Donald Crossman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Your Phone app

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Donald Crossman
        AskWoody Plus

Has anyone had any success with this app? I’ve tried getting it to work a couple of times without success. Followed all instructions to the letter each time.

With the latest failure, I’m thinking that the reason is that I’m trying to connect the phone to my desktop computer, which is connected to my WiFi router with a wire. The phone is on WiFi, but the computer is connected via a cable. Somewhere in the troubleshooting docs, it said something like, “Make sure your phone and device are connected to WiFi.”

It’s very convenient to be able to send and receive text messages on the computer screen. I’m currently using MightyText, which is a very good product, but the Pro version (non-pro is nearly useless) costs $80/year. Not completely outrageous, but I was thinking that if Your Phone can do the same thing for free, that would be worth looking at.

Thanks for any insights.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Your need your PC connected to your wi-fi network/set wi-fi on on your PC provided you have a wi-fi network card.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/your-phone-app-requirements-and-set-up-cd2a1ee7-75a7-66a6-9d4e-bf22e735f9e3

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
        AskWoody Plus

It works very well for me.

There are 36 related tutorials at TenForums.com:

How to Link Android Phone to Windows 10 PC

b
        AskWoody Plus

I just realized that Your Phone has always worked fine for me even though the laptop computer is normally connected only by Ethernet and not wi-fi.

So as long as the computer and phone are connected to the same network and signed in with the same Microsoft Account, it does not seem to require a wireless connection for the computer (despite Microsoft’s instructions to the contrary).

(I disabled the wireless network adapter and the computer/phone connection was still operational.)

Donald Crossman
        AskWoody Plus

That’s very interesting! My guess is that it worked with the ethernet connection because it was previously set up using WiFi.

I will probably be able to test this theory out because I have a USB WiFi dongle coming on Tuesday.

When I was trying to set up the connection between ethernet and WiFi, on the same router, the setup always stopped dead at 60%. Assuming the Your Phone setup goes smoothly ovwer WiFi, I’ll report back with my findings as soon as I get a round tuit.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Your Phone app

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.