News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• zombie windows updates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 zombie windows updates

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I’m just curious — I’ve been carrying along a bunch of “zombie” updates — they don’t install and don’t go away and just shamble along from month to month:

updates

I guess they don’t matter much since they don’t ever show up in windows update as something-to-install, but…. I certainly don’t want the dell and other devices drivers to install, and the silverlight update has become an old friend by now.   Should I just continue to ignore them or is there some way i can delete them?  Should I just “hide” them to ensure they *don’t* get installed?

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Hide drivers updates with WUmgr / wushowhide.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You do want the Defender update.
        The rest can be hidden if you want.

cheers, Paul

berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I guess I get the message — there’a really nothing I can do about those dumb/unwanted updates and so I might as well hide them to prevent one of the zombies from leaping to life.

I had thought that when update checked for updates it could remove the old/irrelevant ones — even beyond the dell/driver updates, what’s with the perpetual silverlight update?  🙂  So hide them I shall…..   Windows update is a mysterious bit of  machinery

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Silverlight has some 20+ updates. Hide one, the next one will appear. Keep hiding; eventually you’ll run out of candidates.

As for the others: some vendors delegate Microsoft to do their delivery. Research each if possible; some may fix latent problems, which you may or may not ever experience.

berniec
          AskWoody Plus

But I have left those samsung/dell/intel updates “shown” for months and they never get installed and never go away.   I doubt they’re critical to my system — dell has a pretty good update mechanism of its own.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: zombie windows updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.